Monday, August 11

Sentimental Memories

So Rich and I keep having a disagreement on what is sentimental and what is just trash. My mom died back in 2006. I took it pretty hard, though I kept my emotions to myself. I don't like to cry in front of other people. I believe it shows a sign of weakness. There is no time for weakness when you are a mother and a military wife. Anyway, I finally went through all of my mom's belongings. I couldn't put it off any longer. Though I wish I could. I threw away most everything of hers. It was definitely one of the more difficult things I've ever had to do. Some things I just couldn't let go of. Rich thinks that I'm being ridiculous on some of the things I am holding onto. For instance there is a very old dictionary. The pages are very old and you can tell that obviously my mom was holding on to it for a reason. So if it meant something to her it means something to me. He doesn't see it that way. He sees it as "trash". It's so heart breaking to me that he calls my mom's stuff trash. Even if it is, he knows, or should know, how much my mom meant to me. Why does it matter? He should just understand that she was my mom, and he has his mom, and that, that "trash" is all I have left of her. I won't get to make anymore memories with her. No more phone calls on my birthday, Christmas, or Thanksgiving. No more chats on the phone, no more girls' weekend. From now on it's just pictures and that "trash".

(Picture I took from the dictionary.)



So what do you consider "trash" and what would you consider to be sentimental? Should I throw out this dictionary that I have no prior memory of. No special story to tell my children about it. I just have this dictionary that my mom touched and was touched by somehow.

2 comments:

ldybugsammi said...

I wouldnt consider it trash. If you think its something special, even if you dont know why, just keep it. And tell him to lighten up, its not like a dictionary takes up that much space LOL.

Valerie Williams said...

That's a great picture. I am a major pack rat, so I don't consider much trash! I'm sorry Rich wasn't being considerate :( ((amanda))